Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Do fingerprints expire?

So today we are in the USCIS waiting and I look over at Amy who is having her fingerprints taken. This is some nondescript office building wedged behind a car dealer in Brandon. Amy is wearing a long plain blue dress and the impatience is apparent on her face. Still, my mind wanders to a few months from now and she will be wearing that same dress in a very different place. She will be carrying Ella and weaving through the bustle of a crowded street in Addis Ababa. I don't understand why we are sitting here, waiting for new fingerprints. Do fingerprints expire? If they can place a person at the scene of a crime 20 years later from a dusty glass (at least they can on CSI), then how in the world am I sitting here in this stupid line waiting for more fingerprints! We actually had to request more fingerprints from Homeland Security because the one's we got last year aren't any good anymore! Please somebody help me understand that. Seriously. I have just found a way to cut the budget Mr. President and I'm starting with the expiration dates on fingerprints. We shouldn't even be here now. We were supposed to be back with her by now, but the Ethiopian government has managed to drag out what is already a ridiculously slow process. Thanks governments! I'll have to remember this feeling on July 4th when I celebrate how great it is to be free. Free to wait...
-Charles

3 comments:

Christy said...

Good question! I had the same problem when I went back to work after maternity leave. SAME FINGERS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!

Rick Flynn said...

Ina Says.....
Charles you write beautifully. Someday in the future, I hope to be reading some of your published work. Ella will be so proud of her father. You will be able to show her the good things in this world. She will be such a lucky little girl.
Love, Ina

dntnichols said...

We just did the same stupid thing. We should have been home before they expired as well now I'm just hoping they come back quickly and don't hold us up. UGH!

Tabitha